Solar panels are now a popular choice for individuals and companies seeking to lower their carbon footprint and save on energy expenses. However, with so many different types and brands of solar panels on the market, choosing the right one can be a daunting task.
Choosing the best solar panels around is difficult due to the vast options available and competing manufacturers’ claims about product superiority. There are key factors to consider such as solar panel efficiency, cost, quality, energy output, and more.
In this article, we will discuss important details to help you make an informed decision in choosing solar panels that matches your needs such as:
Choosing the best solar panel for your home is not easy so continue reading to learn all of these!
Factors to consider when choosing solar panels for your home
A solar panel with higher conversion efficiency can generate more electrical energy compared to a lower-energy efficiency module.
This means you will need fewer panels to produce the same amount of electricity. And, on that note, fewer panels mean lower solar installation costs.
Solar panel cost
Speaking of cost, solar panels in Australia cost around $1000 per kW. So, if you were to install a 10 kW solar system, you should expect to spend roughly $10,000 for your installation.
This price includes the rebates that the government grants to all eligible households. If your home or system isn’t eligible, the cost of your solar panel installation will be much higher.
Want 3 Quotes By Trusted Solar Installers In Your Area?
Quality & warranty
High-quality solar panels in Australia are warranted to be “useful” for 25 years.
This is the standard but, as with anything, this can be different for every manufacturer. Some last up to 30+ years while others will only have warranties of 10 years or so.
High-quality solar panels have a more robust build and can withstand harsh conditions such as hail, high winds, and snow loads. Cheaper panels may be made with lower-quality materials and construction, making them less durable.
Damaged panels may be costly to replace and can lower the overall performance of your solar panel system.
Solar panel manufacturers’ reputations and track records can provide valuable insights into the quality and performance of their products. The solar industry is constantly evolving, and many new companies and products are entering the market every year.
However, not all solar panels or manufacturers are equal in terms of quality and reliability.
So, when choosing a solar manufacturer, one thing to make sure of is that they’re well-established in Australia. Otherwise, you’d have so much trouble claiming warranties in case something goes wrong.
As of writing, there are only 2 Australian-manufactured solar panels in the market but there are other great options sold in the country as well.
Take time to scrutinize the specifications that provide valuable information about the panel’s performance and capabilities. Some of the key specifications to consider include:
- Solar power ratings can be measured by watts; the higher, the better
- Efficiency rating talks about how much power the panel is capable of converting into usable electricity; the higher the efficiency is, the more energy it generates
- Temperature coefficient refers to the amount of energy that is lost as the panel heats up; a lower temperature coefficient is advisable when you choose solar panels
Carefully considering these and other important solar panel specifications can help you select the right solar panels. This also ensures that you’re getting the best possible value for your investment.
Types of solar panels
There are several types of solar panels available on the market, including monocrystalline, polycrystalline, thin-film, and bifacial. Pick the right solar cell type to optimize your energy system.
For example, monocrystalline solar panels are typically more efficient and have good heat tolerance characteristics, but also more expensive than polycrystalline panels.
Thin-film panels, on the other hand, are less efficient but can be more flexible and easier to install.
Solar panel physical features
Some of the key physical features to consider include the solar panel’s size, weight, and mounting options. Solar panel size can affect how much power it can generate, weight affects installation, and mounting options impact the ease and cost of installation.
Other than that, though, how easy they are to install will also affect how much your installer will quote you.
Your solar energy needs
Another thing to consider is your consumption needs to help save energy bills. Knowing how you use energy can help you find the right combinations that work for you.
For example, if you have limited roof space, you might want to consider more efficient solar panels. This way, you generate the same amount of solar energy with fewer modules.
If your roof space still isn’t enough despite highly efficient panels, you may want to consider a ground-mounted system.
Recommended: How many solar panels does your house need?
Want 3 Quotes By Trusted Solar Installers In Your Area?
The best solar manufacturers in Australia (our recommendations)
SunPower is one of the most recognized and highly-regarded solar panel brands in Australia and around the world. The company produces durable and high-efficiency solar panels that perform well in harsh weather conditions over the long term.
Here are some notable advantages they offer to its users:
- SunPower offers some of the most efficient solar panels with ratings of over 22%
- SunPower’s solar panels are built to last with warranties of 25 years
- SunPower’s panels have a sleek, modern look that can add aesthetic value to your home
- SunPower’s panels are designed to generate more power in low-light conditions than traditional panels
Canadian Solar system
Canadian Solar is a globally renowned solar panel manufacturer that has been in operation for more than 19 years. Canadian Solar is highly regarded by Australian homeowners for its quality products, great warranties, and affordable pricing.
Here are more of its benefits:
- Their panels have an efficiency rating of up to 23%
- Canadian Solar also offers a wide range of solar panels, including monocrystalline, polycrystalline, and bifacial options
- They offer a 25-year linear power output warranty and a 10-year product warranty
Q-Cells, a reputable German manufacturer, produces dependable, premium solar panels globally. Moreover, this solar panel supplier is known to make solar cells that offer the following benefits:
- Q-Cells produces highly efficient solar panels that can generate more power per square meter
- They offer a 25-year performance warranty, which is longer than most other producers of good-quality solar panels
- Q-Cells is committed to sustainable production and uses renewable energy sources in their manufacturing process
- Excellent customer service and support
Jinko Solar panel system
Jinko Solar is a Chinese solar panel manufacturer that has been operating since 2006. It is considered one of the world’s largest solar panel manufacturers and produces high-quality panels for various projects.
Moreover, they offer the following benefits:
- Jinko Solar panels are known for their high efficiency, with some models achieving up to 23.7% efficiency
- They’re made with high-quality materials that make them durable and able to withstand harsh weather conditions
- Jinko Solar panels are relatively affordable compared to other high-end solar panel brands
- 10-year product warranty and a 25-year linear power output warranty
Trina Solar cell
Trina Solar is another Chinese solar panel manufacturer that has been operating since 1997. It is one of the largest solar panel manufacturers in the world and has a strong presence in Australia.
Many homeowners consider Trina Solar to be one of the best solar panel brands in Australia for several reasons:
- Trina Solar offers high-efficiency panels that can generate more electricity per square meter of the panel than many other brands
- They are known for their affordability and good value for money
- Trina Solar offers a 25-year warranty on its solar panels, which is the industry’s gold standard
- Proven records and messages on high levels of satisfaction with their performance and reliability
Choosing the right solar panel for your home can be a daunting task, but by considering the factors mentioned such as efficiency, cost, quality, brand or manufacturer, solar panel types, physical features, and your solar energy consumption, you can make an informed decision.
Solar panel efficiency is important as it affects the energy output and therefore the savings on your electricity bill. Cost, quality, and origin are also crucial factors that affect the reliability, durability, and warranty of the panels, and determine the return on investment (ROI).
Now, if you’re ready to take the next step, we can help. We have a network of pre-vetted solar installers that are ready to give you 3 FREE quotes right away.